Technical Assistance and Lending Project Support for Cities
Technical Assistance for Cities
EECI provides direct technical assistance (TA) to help cities identify opportunities for energy efficiency in buildings, water systems, public procurement, and sustainable transport. This assistance is offered to complement Cities Alliance's grants for preparing city development strategies. One TA has been completed and a second is under implementation.
Quezon City, Philippines | EECI completed the first TA to Quezon City. The assistance has enabled city officials to develop an energy efficient buildings program and prepare a green buildings ordinance. Download the report.
Zarqa Municipality, Jordan | Similarly, EECI is assisting Zarqua Municipality to develop an energy efficient mobility plan for the city downtown area. Donwload the report.
Lending Project Support for Cities
EECI continues to work with the World Bank Urban sector operations to leverage financing for energy efficiency investments in cities. EECI has supported eight urban investment lending projects, leveraging over US$500 million in World Bank financing for energy efficiency efforts in municipalities as follows:
- Armenia | EECI is assisting the World Bank’s Europe and Central Asia energy unit to prepare a public sector energy efficiency retrofit program. The program will be one the key components of the proposed Electricity Supply Reliability and Energy Efficiency Project.
- Beijing (China) | EECI is helping a Bank team to design a project that would finance the development of low-carbon pilot cities in Beijing.
- Macedonia | EECI has contributed to leveraging the World Bank’s Global Environment Facility funding to improve energy use in municipal buildings, primary schools, and kindergartens in Skopje, Macedonia. EECI is further assisting the Global Environment Facility (GEF) Sustainable Energy Project team to supervise the implementation of the energy efficiency activities.
- Ningbo (China) | EECI assisted in the design and preparation of a program that includes implementing an energy-efficient pilot in a rural township and strengthening city capacities.
- Russia| EECI is supporting the design of an Energy Efficiency Project that would finance EE investments in all sectors, with the option of using performance contracting in municipal sectors.
- Tianjin (China) | EECI helped design and prepare the green building component of the GEF Tianjin Eco City Project.
- Ukraine | EECI supported the design and preparation of the municipal energy efficiency component of the Ukraine Energy Efficiency Project. EECI also provided technical assistance to carry out a municipal energy efficiency market study covering two cities and sector-wide issues.
- West Bank | EECI helped develop a municipal energy efficient retrofit pilot in West Bank.