DAY 1 | October 30, 2018
Opening Remarks by Ivo Germann, SECO, Head of Operations
Session 1 | Energy Subsidies: State of Play
Moderator: Marianne Fay, Chief Economist, The World Bank
- Energy Subsidies – State of Play by Peter Wooders, IISD
- Latest Data on Fossil-Fuel Consumption Subsidies by Mr. Wataru Matsumura, Sr. Energy Analyst, IEA.
Session 2 | Building Public Awareness and Support for Subsidy Reforms
Moderator: Heather Worley, Sr. Strategy & Operations Officer, The World Bank
- The Political Economy of Energy Subsidy Reform by David Victor, UCSD
- Communicating Power Sector Reform in Nigeria by Awele Okigbo, CE, CREDO.
- “No Mas Subsidios Injustos” (No More Unfair Subsidies) by Cecilia Roman, México Evalúa
Session 3 | How Have Countries Mitigated the Impact of Subsidy Reform on the Poor?
Moderators: Peter Wooders, GSI/IISD
- How Have Countries Mitigated the Impact of Subsidy Reform on the Poor? by Caterina Ruggeri Laderchi, The World Bank
- Subsidy and Economic Reform and Social Protection by Dr. Nivine El-Kabbag, Vice Minister, Ministry of Social Solidarity, Egypt.
Session 4 | Managing Oil Price Volatility
Moderator: Ronald Steenblik, OECD
- Dealing with Oil Price Volatility by Masami Kojima, Lead Energy Specialist, The World Bank
- Managing Oil Price Volatility in Mexico by Eduardo Camero, Secretaría de Hacienda y Crédito Público
- Videos by Friends of Fossil Fuel Subsidy Reform by Laura Merrill, Henri Horn and Mike Webb
DAY 2 | October 31, 2018
Session 5 | Impact on Energy-Intensive Sectors: Firm and Employment
Moderator: Dr. Sudarshan Gooptu, Lead Economist, The World Bank shared some insights before welcoming his panelists.
- Alberta’s Electricity Transition by Nicole Spears, Executive Director, Alberta Energy
- The Colombian Case: Subsidy History, Roadblocks and a Look Ahead by Hernando Jose Gomez, Manufacturing Sector
- Transport & Fossil Fuel Subsidy Reforms: Experiences and Lessons Learned by Dr. Thomas Flochel, Energy Economist and Nathalie Picarelli, Young Professional, The World Bank
Session 6 | Reforming Subsidies in the Power Sector
Moderator: Guy Bonvin, SECO
- Reforming Electricity Subsidies: An Overview by Vivien Foster, Sr. Economic Adviser, The World Bank
- Power Sector Reform and Subsidies by Budak Dilli, ESMAP Technical Advisory Group
- India: Direct Delivery of Electricity Subsidy for Agriculture by A. Venu Prasad, Principal Secretary of Punjab, India
- Energy Subsidy Reforms for a Brighter Tomorrow: Electricity Prices in Brazil by Joisa C. Dutra, Founder and Director of CERI.
- Reforming Subsidies in Kenya’s Power Sector by Dr. John Mutua, Deputy Director, Energy Regulatory Commission, Kenya